Inner Line Permit (ILP) System
The inner line permit (ILP) system, required by Indian citizens to enter Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and Mizoram, should be introduced in Meghalaya as well to check the influx of illegal Bangladeshi immigrants, a government panel on influx headed by Deputy Chief Minister Bindo M. Lanong made the recommendation to the Mukul Sangma government.
The ILP is issued under the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation, 1873, by the state governments. The mandate of the Lanong committee is to review the situation of influx in the state and to suggest a multi—pronged strategy and a practical approach to tackle the problem.
Inner line Permit
- Inner Line Permit is an official travel document issued by the Government of India to allow inward travel of an Indian citizen into a protected/restricted area for a limited period.
- It is obligatory for Indian citizens from outside those states to obtain permit for entering into the protected state. The document is an effort by the Government to regulate movement to certain areas located near the international border of India. This is a security measure and it is applicable for the following states:
- Arunachal Pradesh – Issued by the Secretary (Political) of the Government of Arunachal Pradesh. It is required for entering the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh through any of the check gates across the inter-state border with Assam or Nagaland.
- Mizoram – Issued by the Government of Mizoram. It is required for entering the Indian state of Mizoram through any of the check gates across the inter-state borders.
- Nagaland – It is mandatory for a mainland Indian citizen entering the state of Nagaland through any of the check gates across the inter-state borders.
- There are two kinds of official permits prescribed by Government for entering into any area within Arunachal Pradesh. They are, Inner Line Permit (ILP) and Protected Area Permit (PAP).
Any Domestic tourist coming to the mentioned state has to obtain an Inner Line Permit. The Permit is granted as a routine for the tourists and so it should not deter any tourist from coming to state.
All the foreigners are required have the Protection Area Permit or PAP for entering into the state. They can obtain the Protected Area Permit from, All Indian Missions abroad, and Home ministry.