GK & Current Affairs: August 3, 4, 2014
1. Apart from Earth, “lo” is the only known body in the solar system with volcanoes erupting and spewing extremely hot lava like on earth. “lo” is one of the moons of __?
lo is the fifth of Jupiter’s moons and the third largest. Lo is the only body in the solar system besides the earth to known to have active volcano.
2. India has finished fifth position in the 2014 Commonwealth games with 64 medals with the medals tally comprising _____?
[A]20 Gold, 25 Silver and 19 Bronze
[B]10 Gold, 35 Silver and 19 Bronze
[C]10 Gold, 30 Silver and 24 Bronze
[D]15 Gold, 30 Silver and 19 Bronze
15 Gold, 30 Silver and 19 Bronze
3. India’s first world-class cycle track has been inaugurated recently at ___?
India’s first dedicated, world-class cycle track has been inaugurated at Diu. The 4.3 km long cycle track is first-of-its kind track in India and built up at a cost of Rs 3 crore to provide eco-friendly means of transport within the city.
4. In which of the following events India has won maximum number of Gold medals in the recently concluded Commonwealth Games-2014?
5. What is the name of India’s first multi-sensor moored observatory deployed in Arctic, recently?
IndARC, country’s first multi-sensor moored observatory was successfully deployed in Kongsfjordan Fjord of the Arctic roughly halfway between North Pole and Norway. This observatory, designed and developed by ESSO-NIOT and ESSO-NCAOR with ESSO-Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services, Hyderabad, was deployed from the Norwegian Polar Institute’s research vessel R.V.Lance.
6. Who among the following has become the first Indian author to win “Conspiracy Novel of the Year” award from the American Literary Forum Society?
Noted novelist and documentary maker Nikhil Chandwani has become the first Indian author to win “Conspiracy Novel of the Year” award from the American Literary Forum Society. Chandwani bagged the prestigious award for his book title “Coded Conspiracy” and documentary “Escape from Kenya”. At 21, Chandwani is also the youngest to win the American award.
7. Which among the following is the head of the committee that has been set up to review Parliament security?
[A]R K Singh
[C]Harish Chandra Meena
R K Singh
Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan has formed a committee to review parliamentary security. The committee will be headed by former Union Home secretary R K Singh and will include former Rajasthan DGP Harish Chandra Meena and former Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapa Singh.
8. As per the latest report, which among the following has overtaken Samsung to become the largest mobile phone supplier in India?
As per a report by an independent market research and consulting firm, Counter Point Research, Micromax has overtaken Samsung to become the largest mobile supplier in India in Q2 2014. As per the report, Micromax’s mobile shipment share was 16.6% in the quarter while samsung’s share stood at 14.4%.
9. Currently, which among the following organisation is/are have been exempted from RTI act?
1. Intelligence Bureau
2. Special Frontier Force
3. Directorate of Enforcement
4. Central Economic Intelligence Bureau
Chose the correct answer from codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 1, 2 & 3
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
1, 2, 3 & 4
10. The 18th BASIC (Brazil, South Africa, India and China) ministerial meeting on Climate Change will be held in ___?
The 18th BASIC ministerial meeting will be held on August 7-8, 2014 at New Delhi. The two day meeting will discuss important issues relating to the current UNFCCC negotiations specially on matters pertaining to the Adhoc Working Group on the Durban platform discussion on 2015 outcome.