Zonal Cultural Centers
The 7 Zonal Cultural Centres are as follows:
North Zone Cultural
Jammu & Kashmir,
West Zone Cultural
South Zone Cultural
South Central Zone
Eastern Zonal Cultural
North Central Zone
Uttar Pradesh, Madhya
North East Zone
ZCCs are implementing the following schemes to promote the traditional folk arts of the member-states:-
- National Cultural Exchange Programme: With a view to present art forms of one region to another and expose the diverse cultural heritage of each region to the rest of the country, the folk/tribal artistes are sent on exchange manner to participate in the programmes organized by the seven Zonal Cultural Centres.
- Guru Shishya Parampara Scheme: The Scheme was introduced in 2003-04 with a view to promote development of new talents in the field of music and dance, folk and tribal art forms, under the able guidance of Gurus.
- Young Talented Artistes Scheme: The Scheme was introduced during the year 2004-05 to recognize and encourage young talents in the various folk arts forms of different regions in the country.
- Documentation of Vanishing Art Forms: Under the Scheme, documentation of various traditional folk art forms is undertaken, especially of those which are seen to be vanishing.
- Shilpagram Activities: ZCCs have set up Shilpagrams at Chandigarh, Khajuraho, Udaipur, Guwahati, Allahabad and Shantiniketan to encourage various forms of traditional folk/tribal arts from rural India. These Shilpagrams are attracting a large number of domestic as well as foreign visitors. Through these Shilpgrams, a large number of artistes and artisans are benefited and a large number of people are made aware of our rich cultural heritage.
- Loktarang – National Folk Dance Festival and OCTAVE – Festival of the North East: All the ZCCs participate in these National level festivals organized every year in New Delhi and/or other places. A large number of folk/tribal artistes from all corners of the country perform during these festivals to showcase the diverse folk/tribal arts of our different regions/states.
inputs from press information bureau , last updated January 7, 2009