What would have happened to India if Subhash Chandra Bose survived the plane crash?
Subhash Chandra Bose is referred as a tragic hero of Indian freedom struggle. His untimely death in the plane crash in 1945 was a tragic episode for India.
If that tragic incident would not have happened and he would have been alive may be the things would have been different as follows:
- Partition would have been avoided: Subhash Chandra Bose had a solid following among Muslims. He could have been Congress tool against Muslim league leaders who were spearheading the Pakistan movement. Congress lacked a credible leader with mass support among Muslims to counter radical elements.
- Armed Struggle: Even after the Second World War there were episodes like RIN mutiny; INA trails which had surcharged the atmosphere in the country. Subhash Chandra Bose could have used these opportunities which may have resulted in armed struggle against the British.
- Counterbalance to congress: Congress had a free run in the initial decades after Independence in the country due to lack of credible alternatives. Presence of Subhash Chandra Bose would have provided with an alternative to the congress.
- Socialist path: India through concept of welfare state and directive principles of state policy thrived for the Socialist ideals, they were not justisable. Subhash Chandra Bose presence would have provided more aggressive socialist left path.
- Realistic foreign Policy: Indian foreign policy was more of Idealism in the post independence period. As a result India is still haunted by issues like Kashmir. Bose favored more of realistic policy. His approach to Russia and then axis powers for the cause of Indian Independence is a testimony to this. Indian foreign policy could have been more of Realism with Bose around.
On other hand there could have repercussions because of armed struggle giving a way for authoritative and military regime as witnessed in Pakistan or Balkanization of India because of the increasing communal tensions etc. There can be numerous Ifs and Buts when it comes to the individuals and their role in Indian History. Rather than pitching the great freedom fighters one against others through the lens of present, India must try to inculcate and uphold their dream of free, democratic and vibrant India.