Geographical Indications of Goods : India
- Geographical Indications of Goods are defined as that aspect of industrial property which refer to the geographical indication referring to a country or to a place situated therein as being the country or place of origin of that product.
- Typically, such a name conveys an assurance of quality and distinctiveness which is essentially attributable to the fact of its origin in that defined geographical locality, region or country.
- Under Articles 1 (2) and 10 of the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property, geographical indications are covered as an element of IPRs.
- They are also covered under Articles 22 to 24 of the Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) Agreement, which was part of the Agreements concluding the Uruguay Round of GATT negotiations.
India, as a member of the World Trade Organization (WTO), enacted the Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration & Protection)Act, 1999 has
come into force with effect from 15th September 2003.
- A Geographical Indications Registry with all India jurisdiction operates in Chennai, as per the Geographical Indication of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act 1999.
- Under the Act, agricultural, natural or manufactured goods originating or manufactured in the territory of a country, or a region or locality in that territory, where a given quality, reputation or other characteristic of such goods is essentially attributable to its geographical origin and in cases where such goods are manufactured goods, one of the activities of either production or of processing or preparation of the goods concerned takes place in such territory, region or locality, are registrable as Geographical Indications. Whether a particular product is registrable or not is determined by the Registrar of Geographical Indications, on receipt of the application.
- Geographical Indications registration gives to the registered proprietor and its authorized users, the legal right to the exclusive use of the GI and also the right to obtain relief in case of its infringement.
- Exclusion of unauthorized persons from misusing GI would ensure that genuine products of the rightful producers are marketed.
Some products with GI Tag (List includes products from 2003-2008)
- Darjeeling Tea (Name and Logo).
- Kangra Tea – Himachal Pradesh
- Assam Tea (Application of Assam Tea under process (November 2009)
- Navara Rice:Kerala
- Palakkadan Matta Rice:Kerala
- Malabar Pepper :Kerala
- Alleppey Green Cardamom:Kerala
- Coorg Green Cardamom:Karnataka
- Allahabad Surkha – Uttar Pradesh (Guava)
- Monsooned Malabar Arabica Coffee:Karnataka
- Monsooned Malabar Robusta Coffee:Karnataka
- Alleppy Coir : Kerala
- E I Leather : Tamilnadu
- Kasuti Embroidery : Karnataka
- Mysore Sandalwood Oil : Karnataka
- Aranmula Kannadi : Kerala
- Bidriware : Karnataka
- Channapatna Toys & Dolls : Karnataka
- Mysore Rosewood Inlay : Karnataka
- Kondapalli Bommallu : Andhra Pradesh
- Silver Filigree of Karimnagar : Andhra Pradesh
- Temple Jewellery of Nagercoil : Tamil Nadu
- Thanjavur Art Plate : Tamil Nadu
- Applique – Khatwa Patch Work of Bihar : Bihar
- Sujini Embroidery Work of Bihar : Bihar
- Sikki Grass Work of Bihar : Bihar
- Ganjifa cards of Mysore (Karnataka) : Karnataka
- Karnataka Bronze Ware : Karnataka
- Mysore Jasmine : Karnataka
- Udupi Jasmine : Karnataka
- Hadagali Jasmine : Karnataka
- Coorg Orange : Karnataka
- Mysore Betel leaf : Karnataka
- Nanjanagud Banana : Karnataka
- Mysore Agarbathi
- Mysore Traditional Paintings : Karnataka
- Madhubani Paintings : Bihar
- Thanjavur Paintings : Tamil Nadu
- Mysore Sandal Soap – Karnataka
Textiles & Textile Goods:
- Pochampalli Ikat : Andhra Pradesh
- Salem Fabric : Tamil Nadu
- Chanderi Fabric : Madhya Pradesh
- Solapur Chaddar : Maharashtra
- Solapur Terry Towel : Maharashtra
- Kotpad Handloom fabric : Orrissa
- Mysore Silk : Karnataka
- Kota Doria : Rajasthan
- Kancheepuram Silk : Tamil Nadu
- Kullu Shawl : Himachal Pradesh
- Madurai Sungudi : Tamil Nadu
- Orissa Ikat : Orissa
- Srikalahasthi Kalamkari : Andhra Pradesh
- Muga Silk : Assam
- Ilkal Sarees : Karnataka
- Nakshi Kantha : New Delhi
- Navalgund Durries : Karnataka
- Molakalmuru Sarees : Karnataka
- Salem Silk : Tamil Nadu
- Kovai Cora Cotton : Tamil Nadu
- Arani Silk : Tamil Nadu
- Bhavani Jamakkalam (carpet ) : Tamil Nadu
- Coimbatore Wet Grinder