Union Ministry of Mines launches web portal for star rating of major mineral mines
The Union Ministry of Mines has launched web portal for Star Rating of Major Mineral Mines with an aim to promote sustainable mining.
The portal was launched by the Union Minister of State (IC) for Mines, Power, Coal and New & Renewable Energy Piyush Goyal.
- The online portal was developed by IBM (Indian Bureau of Mining) through NISG (National Institute of Smart Government), Hyderabad.
- The innovative scheme of star rating of mines was launched by the Union Ministry of Mines through IBM as part of Sustainable Development Framework (SDF) in the mining sector.
- The main objective of this system is to bring all mines to a minimum standard of Star Rating in the shortest possible time frame to adopt sustainable practices.
- Based on the performance of the mining leases, a one to five star rating would be given to the mines. Initially, the star rating will be done for mines of major minerals.
- The star rating will be based on the following parameters: (i) scientific and systematic mining, (ii) addressing social impact of resettlement and rehabilitation, (iii)local community engagements and welfare programmes, (iv) progressive and final mine closure and adoption of international standards and (v) adoption of international standards for mining operations and reporting.
The star rating will help in collation of various technical, environmental and social data by IBM, which will be utilised to allow better management and monitoring of mining areas. In the long run, it will help in formulation of Comprehensive Regional Plans to address cumulative impact in mining areas through coordinated and collective action.