Top GKToday’s News Headlines- 10 January, 2020
Here are Top GKToday’s News Headlines for January 10, 2020.
- Indian Navy maintaining its presence in the Gulf region as part of its ‘Operation Sankalp’ to ensure safety of Indian Flag Merchant Vessels transiting through the region
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas celebrated on January 9
- New logo of Arunachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly adopted; consists of the national emblem and foxtail orchid (Rhynchostylis Retusa), the state flower
- AP Govt. launches ‘Amma Vodi’ scheme to provide an annual assistance of Rs. 15,000 each to poor mothers to educate their children.
- Tamil Nadu Fisheries University and Tamil Nadu Music and Fine Arts University rechristened after late CM J. Jayalalithaa
- Justice Dilip B. Bhosale, 63, resigns as member of anti-corruption ombudsman Lokpal citing personal reasons
- Agricultural scientist Dr M S Swaminathan receives the first ‘Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu National Award for Excellence’ in Hyderabad from Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu
- Social worker Dr. Gutta Muniratnam receives the first ‘Muppavarapu National Award for Social Service’ in Hyderabad from Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu
- ‘Pax Sinica: Implications for the Indian Dawn, a book on China authored by Samir Saran & Akhil Deo, released
- Gangster Ejaz Lakdawala arrested by Mumbai police’s Anti-Extortion Cell (AEC) in Patna after being on the run for two decades
- Forbes India has unveiled its list of 20 people to watch in the 2020s
- Indians in the list (6) — Poll strategist and JD(U) national vice-president Prashant Kishor, former JNU Students’ Union president Kanhaiya Kumar, Dushyant Chautala (deputy CM of Haryana), Mahua Moitra (Lok Sabha member of TMC), the Godrej family (of Adi Godrej) and Garima Arora (chef and the first Indian woman to receive a Michelin star).
- Persons of Indian origin in the list (2) — US-born Hasan Minhaj (comedian, political commentator) and Aditya Mittal (Group CFO and CEO, ArcelorMittal Europe).
- World leaders in the list (8) — Gotabaya Rajapaksa (President of Sri Lanka), Mohammed bin Salman (Crown Prince, Saudi Arabia), Jacinda Ardern (New Zealand PM), Boris Johnson (PM, the UK), Sanna Marin (Finland PM), Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (member of US House of Representatives), Peter Buttigieg (Mayor of South Bend, Indiana, USA), Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer (Minister of Defence, Germany).
- Sportspersons (3) — Max Verstappen (Formula 1 driver) Anssumane Fati Vieira (Footballer, Barcelona FC) and Eliud Kipchoge (Marathoner)
- Activists (1) — Greta Thunberg (famous environmental activist from Sweden).
ECONOMY & CORPORATE
- Indian economy to grow 5% in 2019-20 and 5.8% in 2020-21: World Bank said in its Global Economic Prospects report
- HDFC completes acquisition of Apollo Group’s stake in Apollo Munich Health Insurance
- Rajya Sabha MP Chandra Pal Singh elected as Chairman of Krishak Bharati Cooperative Ltd (KRIBHCO)
- Supreme Court orders government to include re-grassing of mined areas as a mandatory condition for grant of mining leases to restore biodiversity
- Cabinet approves ordinance to amend mining laws to remove “end-use restrictions”, allowing “anyone to participate in the auction of coal blocks”
- Former Prime Minister Zoran Milanovic wins presidential election in Croatia
- Australia’s raging bushfire crisis has killed 24 people and burned over six million hectares of land
- Pakistan: Government College University Lahore (GCU) sets up a Research Chair honouring its alumni Indian-American biochemist Har Gobind Khorana (1922-2011), who won the 1968 Nobel Prize for medicine
- Sebastian Kurz sworn in Chancellor of Austria after his People’s Party (OeVP) forms coalition govt. with Greens Party
Category: Today's News Headlines