Short Note : Care for Homeless in India
While Land and Colonization are State subjects and it is the primary responsibility of the State Governments to implement appropriate schemes and initiatives for rehabilitating the houseless, the Union Government of India has also started a scheme of Shelter for Urban Homeless (SUH).
About the Shelter for Urban Homeless Scheme-
- The SUH is a component of the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojna-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM) and is directed through the respective States/UTs.
- The objective of the SUH scheme is to ensure the access of the urban homeless population to permanent shelters which will include basic amenities like water supply, sanitary needs, physical safety, and security.
- Under SUH, the shelters will act as a space for the convergence and there will be adequate provisions for the social security, food, education, and health care systems.
- The Shelter Management Agencies and Committee would be directly responsible for ensuring the availability of various entitlements and benefits to the homeless.
- To ensure the mainstreaming of all homeless persons in these shelters, they should be given priority under various schemes and government program.
Reducing Homelessness in India past efforts
The Supreme Court had earlier directed an audit by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) in the money disbursed by the Centre to the states for the specific scheme under the National Urban Livelihoods Mission (NULM) to ensure that these funds are not diverted.
It has also slammed the Centre and states for their casual approach in providing shelters to the poverty-stricken in urban areas despite the availability of sufficient funds.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|