Sania Mirza recommended for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna 2015
Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has recommended name of Indian Tennis legend Sania Mirza for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award 2015.
In this regard Union Sports Minister Sarbanada Sonowal forwarded Sania’s name for the highest honour given for achievement in sports. However, the final decision will be taken by Awards Committee.
About Sania Mirza
- Born: 15 November 1986 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Presently, she is ranked world No. 1 in women’s tennis doubles.
- Achievements: Sania has won 2015 women’s Doubles Wimbledon Title along with her partner Martina Hingis (Switzerland).
- She also has won 3 Grand Slam Mixed Doubles titles including Australian Open (2009), French Open (2012) and US Open (2014).
- In 2014, she was appointed brand ambassador of Telangana state.
- Awards: Arjuna Award (2004), Padma Shri (2006).
About Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award
- Established: It was instituted in the year 1991–92. The words Khel Ratna in Hindi literally mean sports gem.
- Named after the former Prime Minister of India, (late) Rajiv Gandhi.
- It is India’s highest honour given for achievement in sports given by Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- Award carries: a medal, scroll of honour and monetary award of 7.5 lakh rupees.
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News