“Rustam-e-Hind” Dara Singh passes away
Wrestler-turned-actor and Former Rajya Sabha member Dara Singh(84) passed away.
- Singh won the titles of ‘Rustam-e-Punjab’ and ‘Rustam-e-Hind’ for his wrestling competence.
- Singh had over 500 professional fights to his credit, all undefeated.
- In the world of wrestling, he contended against some of the biggest names like King Kong (Australia), George Gordienko (Canada), John Desilva (New Zealand)
- He went to Singapore in 1947 and became the Champion of Malaysia (Indian style wrestling) by defeating Tarlok Singh in Kuala Lumpur.
- He toured almost all far-east countries as a professional wrestler.
- He started his acting career in 1952 with Sangdil
- He is widely known for the role of Hanuman he played in the epic serial Ramayan
- His last Hindi movie was Jab We Met
- He was also famous for his roles in "King Kong" and "Faulad".
Member of Parliament:
- He was the first Indian sportsman to be nominated to the Rajya Sabha by Bhartiya Janata Party.
- Singh had a distinguished record as member of the Rajya Sabha.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2012