Rajya Sabha passed Pharmaceutical Education Bill
The Rajya Sabha passed the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (Amendment) Bill, 2021, on December 9, 2021.
- Under this bill, six more institutes of pharmaceutical education and research, other than an institute at Mohali, will be accorded the status of institute of national importance.
- In these institutes, undergraduate and diploma courses will be introduced and an advisory council will be set for them.
- This Bill was cleared by a voice vote, in Lok Sabha on December 6.
In Lok Sabha, the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (Amendment) Bill, 2021 was introduced on March 15, 2021. The bill seeks to amend National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research Act, 1998. This act established the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research in Punjab and declared it an Institution of National Importance.
Key provisions of the Bill
- Bill declares more of six National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research as the Institutions of National Importance. These institutes are located in Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Hajipur, Raebareli Kolkata and Guwahati.
- It provides for a Council to coordinate activities among institutes, in a bid to ensure development of pharmaceutical education, research and maintenance of standards.
- Important functions of the Council are:
- Advising on matters like course duration, and admission standards in the institutes
- Formulating policies for recruitment, fees and conditions of service
- Examining and approving development plans for the institutes
- Examining annual budget estimates for institutes
- Council will include following members:
- Chairperson: Minister in charge of Ministry or department of the central government, who is having administrative control of pharmaceuticals (ex officio)
- Vice Chairperson: Minister of State of the Ministry or department of central government, who is having administrative control of the pharmaceuticals (ex officio)
- Chairperson of each Board of Governors (ex officio)
- Director of every institute (ex officio).
Category: Legal & Constitution Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|