Railways to create 8 lakh employment opportunities for migrant workers
On June 24, 2020, the Indian Railways reviewed the progress of Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan through video conferencing.
With the Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan operating in states namely UP, MP, Rajasthan, Bihar, Odisha and Jharkhand, the Indian Railways are to play huge role in the programme. The Indian Railways will engage 1000s of migrant workers generating 8 lakh work men hours till October 2020. The project will spend Rs 1800 crores.
The Railways have identified the following works to be executed through MGNREGA and thereby help the migrant workers earn a living
- Construction and Maintenance of roads for level crossing
- Development and cleaning of silted trenches, waterways and drains that are on the sides of the tracks
- Construction and maintenance of roads leading to railway stations
- Plating trees on the extreme boundaries of the railway land
- Protection works of existing bridges and embankments
Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan
PM Modi had announced that Rs 50,000 crores is to be spent to help the migrant workers earn a living. The works will eventually build durable rural infrastructure. The flagship programme of GoI is to run for 125 days and will focus works on 25 categories.
Also, the programme is to converge efforts of 12 different ministries and deaprtments namely Panchayati raj, rural development, mines, drinking water and sanitation, petroleum and natural gas, environment, new and renewable energy, agriculture, telecom, road transport and highways.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2020
Category: India Nation & States Current Affairs