Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf honored with Indira Gandhi Peace Prize
Indian President Pranab Mukherjee conferred the Indira Gandhi peace prize on Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf in recognition of her inspiring efforts for ensuring the return of peace, democracy, development, security and order in Liberia and for her strong interest in the consolidation and betterment of relations between both the countries.
About Ellen Johnson Sirleaf:
- Current President of Liberia.
- Earlier, served as Minister of Finance under President William Tolbert from 1979 until the 1980 coup d’état, after which she left Liberia and held senior positions at various financial institutions.
- Won the 2005 presidential election and took office on 16 January 2006, and she was a successful candidate for re-election in 2011.
- First democratically elected women Head of State of any African country.
- Awarded 2011 Nobel Peace Prize, jointly with Leymah Gbowee of Liberia and Tawakel Karman of Yemen.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|