Former ISRO chief and Renowned Scientist Dr V R Gowarikar passes away
Former ISRO chief and renowned Scientist Dr. Vasant Ranchod Gowarikar passed away in Pune, Maharashtra. He was 81.
He is considered as the ‘Father of the Indian Monsoon Model’.
About Dr. Vasant Gowarikar
- Dr. Vasant Gowarikar was born in Pune on 25th March, 1933.
- He was renowned scientist and his significant contribution includes in field of space research, weather and population study and Polymer Chemistry.
- In 1965, Dr Gowarikar along with Vikram Sarabhai started working on satellite technology in the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research. Both of them played important role in laying foundation stone for India’s space technology and space programmes.
- He also headed Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). On 17th April 1983, under his leadership Satellite launcher SLV-3 became successfully operational in orbit.
- He was the scientific advisor to late Prime Minister P.V. Narasimha Rao from 1991 to 1993. For some time, he was Vice Chancellor of Pune University.
- He was also chairman of Marathi Vidnyan Parishad from 1994 to 2000.
- Books: Many books and scientific essays are credited to his name. His book ‘I Predict’, an essay on the Indian population, has become famous.
- Awards: He was honoured with the Padmashree Award, Padma Bhushan (2008), Fie Foundation Award, Nayak Gold Medal and Doctorates from many prestigious universities.
- The Fertilizer Encyclopedia: Dr. Gowarikar, along with his associates in 2008 had compiled the massive The Fertilizer Encyclopedia that featured 4,500 entries of chemical composition of fertilizers. It contains collection of information related to fertilizers consisting of their manufacturing, application and environmental considerations.
Topics: Current Affairs 2016 • Dr. Vasant Ranchod Gowarikar • Fie Foundation Award • Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) • Maharashtra • Padmashree Award • Satellite launcher SLV-3 • Tata Institute of Fundamental Research • Vikram Sarabhai
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|