Ex-President Pratibha Patil awarded Mexico’s Highest Civilian Honour
Former President of India, Pratibha Patil was conferred Mexico’s highest civilian honour for foreigners titled ‘Orden Mexicana del Aguila Azteca‘ (order of the Aztec Eagle).
Melba Pria, Mexico’s Ambassador to India, presented the award to Pratibha Patil at a special ceremony held in The Mahratta Chamber of Commerce Industries and Agriculture (MCCIA) Bhavan in Pune.
About Order of the Aztec Eagle Award
- The award was created in 1993 by the then President of Mexico, Abelardo L. Rodriguez. The Royal Eagle is Mexico’s national animal and is sacred to ancient Aztecs. It is present on the National Emblem of Mexican flag.
- The award is given in five degrees Sash of Special Category, Plaque, Collar, Sash, Venera and Insignia.
- Purpose: It is the highest distinction which is conferred by Mexican government to foreigners for their prominent services to Mexico and to humanity and also for significant contributions to strengthening bilateral relations between Mexico and other countries.
- Awardees: It is conferred to prominent heads of state (or government) or ambassadors after they have served in Mexico and also to important personalities who have made major contribution in various fields, service to country or its people. Other recipients in various categories from India include Nobel laureate Amartya Sen, industrialist Raghupati Singhania, renowned artist Satish Gujral, Consul-General of Mexico in Mumbai Rajju Shroff among others.
- Recipients: The former President of South Africa Nelson Mandel, along with 13 Indian nationals, including the first Vice president of India, Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan has been given award.
- The 85 year old Pratibha Patil have become only the second Indian head of state (after ate President S. Radhakrishna) to get this award and this is the first time that Mexican government has awarded the ‘Aztec Eagle’ to a woman.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2019
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News
Topics: Abelardo L. Rodriguez • Former President of India • MCCIA Bhavan • Mexico's Ambassador to India • Mexico’s Highest Civilian Honour for Foreigner • Nelson Mandel • Orden Mexicana del Aguila Azteca • Order of the Aztec Eagle • Pratibha Patil • Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan