Current Affairs : May 3, 2010
World Press Freedom Day 2010
3 May has been declared by the United Nations General Assembly as World Press Freedom Day. Read Here
New Education Bills moved in Lok Sabha
To regulate the education system and pave the way for foreign universities, 4 bills have been moved in the Lok Sabha.
- Foreign Education Institutions (Regulation of Entry And Operations) Bill, 2010: This bill aims to allow foreign institutions set up campuses in India. The bill is expected to facilitate quality education in India itself and reduce the flow of Indian students abroad.
- National Accreditation Regulatory Authority Bill: This bill seeks to provide framework for an umbrella body overseeing the quality of education in the country. National Accreditation Regulatory Authority Bill furthers the way for an overall regulatory authority. The function of the authority shall be to promote the development and regulate the process of accreditation of higher education institutions and to register and regulate the working of accreditation agencies.
- Prohibition of Unfair Practices in Technical Education Institutions Bill: Prohibition of Unfair Practices in Technical Education Institutions Bill, forbids charging of any fee other than that declared by an institution in its prospectus, or any fee taken without giving proper receipt. This clips the wings of the medial institutions charging capitation fee and donations.
- Education Tribunals bill: Any disputes related to educational institutions will be heard in state or national level education tribunals to be set up as per the proposed Education Tribunals bill.
Largest Buyer of India’s Iron Ore: China
- During 2006-07 China bought 80.16 MT of Indian iron ore, which went upto 91.98 MT in 2007-08 and 97.85 MT in 2008-09. China is the largest buyer of India’s Iron Ore.
- India’s total iron ore production during 2006-07 was placed at 187.70 Million Tonnes and the export during that period stood at 93.79 MT valued at Rs 18,836 crores. Iron ore production went upto 206.45 MT during 2007-08 and the export also went up to 104.27 MT which was valued at Rs 34,100 crores. The iron ore production further improved to 215.44 MT during 2008-09 and export reached 105.87 MT valued at Rs 34,036 crores. (noted from a reply of Anand Sharma, Commerce Minister in Lok Sabha)
Tamilnadu : Annual Plan
The annual plan for Tamilnadu has been fixed at Rs. 20068 crores including additional Central assistance of Rs.150 crores provided for projects of special interest to the State.
On Maulana Azad National Fellowship in 11th Plan:
Maulana Azad National Fellowship is a central sector scheme for minority students and being implemented through University Grants Commission. It provides for 756 fellowships for M.Phil/Ph.D students per year. The financial layout is Rs. 92.71 crores during the 11th Five Year Plan
Projections of Renewable / alternative Energy Sources in India’s Energy Mix:
As per the projections of Integrated Energy Policy Report of the Planning Commission , the alternative/renewable energy sources may account for 5 to 6 per cent of India’s energy mix by 2031-32.
Energy Conservation Fund
To promote the efficient use of energy and its conservation within the State. the State Energy Conservation Fund (SECF) is required to be constituted by each State under Section 16 of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001. Read Here
On 11th Plan Target of Hydro Power Generation
The 11th plan target for hydro capacity addition was 15,627 MW, consisting of 8,654 MW in Central Sector, 3,482 MW in State Sector and 3,491 MW in Private Sector. Out of this the capacity addition of 8,237 MW is likely to be achieved with a high level of certainty as per the government. Out of the above, a capacity of 3,431 MW has been commissioned so far and balance capacity is under various stages of construction.
On Fund Raising Plans of NTPC:
The National Thermal Power corporation has plans to borrow Rs.12,818 crore for its capacity addition programme during the financial year 2010-11 comprising a Rs.9,859.74 crores from domestic sources and the balance Rs.2,958.26 crores from international sources.
Number of protected Areas in India
India has 661 Protected Areas, including 100 National Parks, 514 Wildlife Sanctuaries, 43 Conservation Reserves and 4 Community Reserves. Read here
On Lockheed Martin Deal
Lockheed Martin or C-130J Super Hercules is an American four-engine turboprop military transport aircraft. It is the updated version of Lockheed C-130 Hercules. India has procured 6 C-130J – 30 transport aircraft from US Government during the last 3 years. Apart from this India has also procured 12 Dornier aircrafts. They all procured for transportation purpose.
The six C-13-J aircraft will be inducted by 2011-12.
India’s Biosphere Reserves:
India has designated 16 Biosphere Reserves. Read Here
Regional Committees for Uniformity in Minimum Wages
Government of India has set up five Regional Committees in order to reduce the regional disparities in the minimum wages of same or similar scheduled employments Read Here
What is National Floor Level Minimum Wage ?
National Floor Level Minimum Wage was mooted with an objective to have a uniform wage structure and to reduce the disparity in minimum wages across the country. he NFLMW per day has been revised from time to time primarily taking into account the increase in the Consumer Price Index Number for Industrial Workers, which stands at Rs.100/- per day with effect
RGSEAG or Rajiv Gandhi scheme for Empowerment of Adolescent Girls is also known as SABLA. This scheme got birth by merging two schemes viz. Kishori Shakti Yojana (KSY) and the Nutrition Programme for Adolescent Girls (NPAG). SABLA aims to empowering adolescent girls (11-18 years) by improving their nutritional and health status, upgrading various skills like home skills, life skills and vocational skills etc. and equipping them on family welfare, health, hygiene, information and guidance on existing public services. The allocation in Union Budget 2010-11 has been kept Rs. 1000 Crores for SABLA scheme.
2010 Kentucky Derby
Super Saver , a thoroughbred racing horse has won the race with Calvin Borel as jockey. The race took place on May 1, 2010. The race was sponsored by Yum! Brands.
Bailout Package for Greece:
The European Union and the International Monetary Fund agree to a bailout package for Greece that will provide approximately €120 billion to end the sovereign debt crisis in that country.