CMFRI, ISRO ink MoU to protect Smaller Wetlands
The Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) and the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) have signed an MoU to map, validate and protect smaller wetlands in the coastal region and restore them through coastal livelihood programmes.
Smaller wetlands (which were smaller than 2.25 hectares) cover an area of more than 5 lakh hectares across the country, with Kerala alone having as many as 2,592 such wetlands.
About the MoU
- As per the MoU, a mobile app and a centralised web portal with a complete database of wetlands in the country which were smaller than 2.25 hectares will be developed.
- The two institutes will identify and demarcate the wetlands and restore the degraded ones through suitable livelihood options such as coastal aquaculture.
- A mobile app will be used for real-time monitoring of the wetlands and giving advisories to the stakeholders and the coastal people.
- The collaboration is part of the national framework for fisheries and wetlands recently developed under the National Innovations in Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA).
- As per the agreement, National Wetland Atlas which has been already developed by the Space Applications Centre of ISRO will be updated with real-time data of physical, chemical and biological parameters of the wetlands to be provided by the CMFRI.
- The collaboration will aid in developing a comprehensive wetland information system which could facilitate the village-level wetland advisories to the local people by scientific communities.
The National Innovations in Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA) is aimed at finding ways and means to mitigate the impact of climate change on marine fisheries and coastal region.
Category: Environment Current Affairs
Topics: Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute • CMFRI • Indian Space Research Organisation • ISRO • Kerala • national framework for fisheries and wetlands • National Innovations in Climate Resilient Agriculture • National Wetland Atlas • Wetlands
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|