Cabinet Approves Proposal to Align with Global Trademark System
The Cabinet has approved the proposal to harmonise the classification systems for examination of trademark and design applications, in line with the systems, followed globally. As a step forward in this direction the cabinet gas approved India’s accession for the following agreements:
- Nice Agreement on the International classification of goods and services for the purposes of registration of marks.
- Vienna Agreement for setting up an International classification of the figurative elements of marks.
- Locarno Agreement for establishing an International classification for industrial designs.
Benefits of the Accession
- The accession will help the Intellectual Property Office in India to harmonise the classification systems for examination of trademark and design applications, in line with the classification systems, followed globally.
- The accession would give an opportunity to include Indian designs, figurative elements and goods in the international classification systems.
- The accession is expected to instil confidence in foreign investors in relation to the protection of IPs in India.
- The accession would facilitate in exercising rights in decision-making processes regarding review and revision of the classifications under the agreement.
The accession is part of the government’s commitment to strengthen the Indian Intellectual property regime.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|