1st meeting of BRICS Working Group on Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency begins in Visakhapatnam
The first meeting of the BRICS Working Group on Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency began in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
The two day conference will be attended by all 5 member BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) countries.
India being BRICS chair for 2016 has organised this event in order to shape and steer the BRICS agenda. The Union Power Ministry is hosting the meeting of the Working Group.
- The meeting will deliberate a work plan on development of cooperation in energy saving and energy efficiency with BRICS.
- The BRICS countries would make presentations on measures taken by them in the field of energy saving and energy efficiency.
- India will also showcase its efforts in energy saving, energy efficiency, in particular the LED street lighting programme.
- It will also showcase PAT (Performance Achievement and Trade) programme for industrial energy efficiency.
- In November 2015, BRICS energy ministers had signed a Memorandum of Mutual Understanding in energy saving and energy efficiency in Moscow, Russia.
- They had agreed to pursue their energy cooperation through technology transfer, joint research and technology projects, conferences and seminars and exchange of experience and best practices for energy saving and energy efficiency.
For more details: India assumes BRICS Chairmanship from Russia for 2016
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2016