Is the National Commission for Women able to strategize and tackle the problems that women face at both public and private spheres? Give reasons in support of your answer.
The National Commission for Women was formed in 1992 as a statutory body under the National Commission for Women Act, 1990. The objective of the commission is to represent the rights of women in India and to address their grievances. The commission focuses on the issues of dowry, religion, equal representation for women in jobs, and women exploitation.
The Commission has played an important role in protecting the rights of women.
- It has suggested necessary measures in the Indian Penal Code, Hindu Marriage Act 1955, Dowry Prohibition Act to safeguard the women’s interests.
- The proposal of Domestic Violence Bill which was passed in 2005 was put forward by the commission.
Some of the achievements of the commission are
- It has Prepared Gender Profiles of all states and UTs except Lakshadweep
- It has taken up women related issues and was proactive in Parivarik Mahila Lok Adalats.
- It has adopted a multi-pronged strategy for alleviating the problem of the women.
- It has set up multiple inquiry committees to combat problems faced by women
- The Research Cell of the commission focuses on the discrimination and gender-related issues of women.
Issues & Challenges of the commission
The Major Issues around working of the National Commission for Women are
- The functions of the commission are dependent on the grants offered by the central government. Less allocation of funds creates difficulties.
- The members of the commission are appointed by the government and there is no provision for selecting its own members.
- A strong legislative power is missing in favor of the commission.
- The recommendations of the NCW are not binding on the governments.
The National Commission for Women is doing their best to uplift the women group in India. Considering the above-mentioned shortcomings the functional liberty must be provided to the commission to ensure further development of the condition of the women in the country.
Is the National Commission for Women able to strategize and tackle the problems that women face at both public and private spheres? Give reasons in support of your answer. (Answer in 250 words)
Published: October 30, 2017 | Modified:September 2, 2020