Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan
The Union Government has launched Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) to provide free health check-ups to pregnant women at government health centers and hospitals. The Scheme was unveiled by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda in New Delhi.
- PMSMA has been launched as a national programme with an aim to reduce Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR) and Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) through safe pregnancies and safe deliveries.
- Target Beneficiaries: All pregnant women who are in their 2nd and 3rd Trimesters of pregnancy. It is expected to provide free antenatal care to about 3 crore pregnant women across the country.
- The programme will provide assured, comprehensive and quality antenatal care on 9th of every month (fixed day).
- The services would be provided by gynecology specialists/ physicians with support from private sector doctors. Private practitioners will play a critical role in supplementing the efforts of the Government.
- In addition to antenatal checkups, services like ultrasound, blood, and urine tests will be provided to the beneficiaries.
- As India strives to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), reducing MMR and IMR becomes important. As a pregnant woman can develop life-threatening complications with little or no advance warning, this initiative is a significant step towards reducing maternal mortality in India.
- Quality and coverage of health facilities would get improved.
- The initiative could avoid many preventable deaths if every pregnant woman is routinely examined and appropriately followed up.