Disaster and Disaster Management
- Drought has been recognised as a disaster in view of its party expense, temporal duration, slow onset and lasting effect on various vulnerable sections. With a focus on the September 2010 guidelines from the National disaster management authority, discuss the mechanism for preparedness to deal with the El Nino and La Nina fallouts in India.
- Examine the Relationship between Disaster and Development. To what extent this relationship is important for a policy maker? Discuss.
- What do you understand by Primary, Secondary and Chronic Hazards? Examine the link between human activities and hazards.
- To what extent, do you think the recently approved National Hydrology Project can be helpful for mitigation of drought in India? Discuss.
- In a large and diverse country like India, authorities are regularly confronted with large-scale protests, riots; incidents of mass civil disorder and crowd disasters. While keeping in focus the NDMA guidelines on Crowd Disaster Management, discuss the various issues faced by state governments.
- Urban floods are significantly different from rural flooding. Discuss while highlighting the causes of Urban Floods in India.
- To what extent, the river inter-linkage a can be a solution for the drought problems. Critically examine.
- India is one of the highest flood prone countries around the world. While discussing the flood affected regions, discuss the structural non-structural measures for mitigation of flood related disasters.
- The institutional arrangements in India for Real Time flood forecast are not only inadequate but also inefficient. To what extent, do you think the recently approved National Hydrology Project can be helpful towards this? Discuss
- Monsoon season has produced floods in the northwest and the northeast India while South India has suffered from a rainfall deficit. Examine the possible reasons and its implications for the economy.
- What is Stampede? Why are humans prone to stampede?
- What are the worst stampede tragedies in India in recent years?
- What caused Elphinstone Road stampede? How this tragedy exposes the problems suburban railway and urban infrastructure of Mumbai?
- What should government learn from Elphinstone Road Incident and how it should respond?
- What are the main triggers of Stampede? How these triggers make crowd management important?
- What are the NDMA's guidelines on Crowd Management?
- In what way, can floods be converted into sustainable source of irrigation and all-weather inland navigation in India?
- On December 2004, Tsunami brought havoc on fourteen countries including India. Discuss the factors responsible for occurrence of Tsunami and its effects on life and economy. In the light of guidelines of NDMA (2010), describe the mechanism for preparedness to reduce the risk during such events.
- Mob-violence is emerging as a serious law and order problem in India. By giving suitable examples, analyze the causes and consequences of such violence.
- In order to reduce damage and injury caused by earthquakes to the minimum possible, government has introduced the "Early Earthquake Warning and Security System (Onsite)". Explain how the system works.
- Discuss the importance of space technology applications for disaster management in India with suitable examples.
- What are the key spatial variations in India's ability to sustain drought?
- How the Early Warning Dissemination System (EWDS) in Odisha can aid in averting the harmful impacts of the cyclones?
- Chennai is facing an unprecedented drought not seen in decades. What kind of solutions do you suggest for checking the water crisis in Chennai?
- The disaster management practices must give due attention towards Disaster Resilient Infrastructure. Discuss why the Disaster Resilient Infrastructure is the need of hour.
- How the Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure builds on the collaborative framework to build Disaster Resilient Infrastructure?
- India Is Driving Today's International Science And Tech Collaborations
- Is India Overusing Antibiotics?
- International Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure
This is a dynamic E-Book comprising the below UPSC Mains Model Questions as well as their answers written by GKToday team. The PDF E-Book can be instantly downloaded after payment. No Hadcopy is provided.
Disclaimer: These questions have been written and answered by GKToday team over the period of time; and have included some previous years questions also. While every effort was made to ensure that these questions as well as their answers remain relevent and correct, it is possible, that some facts or context in some questions might have changed over time. GKToday does not assume and hereby disclaims any liability to any party for any loss, damage, or disruption caused by such change of facts or context in the questions and answers of this E-book.