Issues Related to Direct and Indirect Farm Subsidies and Minimum Support Prices
- What are Foundation Seeds, Breeders Seeds and Certified Seeds? Examine the importance of Breeder's seeds in seed development and multiplication.
- What do you understand by seed Replacement Rate? Despite of a plethora of Government and Private Agencies developing certified seeds in the country, why India suffers from dismal Seed Replacement Ratio? Examine.
- In India, the seed development in case of staple crops is confined to public sector. Discuss the reasons why the private companies avoided staple crops such as wheat despite they are high volume crops.
- Discuss the key thrust areas of National Seed Policy and seed bill in India
- What is Plant variety Protection? Examine the role of Pressure Groups and NGOs in ensuring the Farmer's Rights in the legislation of Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmer's Rights Act 2001.
- "The Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers' Rights Act 2001 not only gives intellectual property protection to the plant breeders, but also upholds the legal space for farmers to save, use, exchange and sell the farm saved seeds."Discuss citing salient features of the act.
- Differentiate between Straight, Complex and Mixed Fertilizers. Briefly explain the use of various chemical fertilizers in Indian Agriculture.
- "The skewed utilization of fertilizers is mainly due to pricing of subsidized fertilizers."Examine the issue throwing light on current policy framework.
- "Although Fertilizer industry has made rapid progress; India's indigenous Fertilizer production is still not able to keep pace with the growth in consumption."Discuss
- Rather than import parity price (IMPP); the Gas Price Pooling Policy seems to be a better deal for Urea Manufacturers. Do you agree with this view? Discuss.
- To what extent New Urea Policy 2015 is able to address the skewed use of fertilizers in the country. Discuss citing key features of this policy.
- Government has mandated all indigenous producers of Urea to produce 100% of urea as Need coated urea only. What are advantages of Need Coated Urea? Examine.
- Do you agree with the view that the cash transfers to farmers who sell their produce in the market at below MSP levels can be a better alternative to the procurement under Minimum Support Price scheme? Discuss taking example of the Bhavantar Bhugtan Yojana (price deficit finance scheme) launched in Madhya Pradesh.
- Discuss the recommendations of Ramesh Chand Committee Report of March 2015 with respect to the Minimum Support Price (MSP). Why the government is reluctant to accept these recommendations?
- What are the reasons for viability crisis in agriculture? Explain with special reference to Minimum Support Price Scheme.
- Why the often adopted go to measure like loan waiver, increasing MSPs and DBT have failed to provide a holistic measure to address farm distress.
- How a multi-prolonged strategy can aid in addressing farm distress?
This is a dynamic E-Book comprising the below UPSC Mains Model Questions as well as their answers written by GKToday team. The PDF E-Book can be instantly downloaded after payment. No Hadcopy is provided.
Disclaimer: These questions have been written and answered by GKToday team over the period of time; and have included some previous years questions also. While every effort was made to ensure that these questions as well as their answers remain relevent and correct, it is possible, that some facts or context in some questions might have changed over time. GKToday does not assume and hereby disclaims any liability to any party for any loss, damage, or disruption caused by such change of facts or context in the questions and answers of this E-book.
Out of stock