What is Sentinels of the North East?
Assam Rifles is known as “Sentinels of the Northeast”.
- Its headquarters are located at Laitkor (Shillong). The motto of Assam Rifles is “Friends of the Hill People”.
- Assam rifles is the oldest paramilitary forces in India.
- It was founded in by British in 1835 and was known as Cachar Levy at that time.
- There are currently 46 battalions of Assam Rifles under the control of the Indian Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- One battalion comprises around 1,000 personnel. Of the 46 battalions, 15 are deployed along the 1,643-km border.
- The Assam Rifles is headed by Lt. Gen K.S. Yadava.