What are various provisions in the constitution guaranteeing constitutional rights and safeguards for children? Name some national and international organisations working towards children's rights.
Children are the future of the country. Constitution has provided the following rights for the children keeping in mind their wholesome development. The constitutional rights and safeguards of children include:
- Article 21 A-The State shall provide free and compulsory education to all children of the age of 6-14 years in such manner as the State may, by law, determine.
- Article 23-Traffic in human beings and beggary and other forms of forced labour are prohibited and any contravention of this provision shall be an offence punishable in accordance with the law.
- Article 24-No child below the age of 14 years shall be employed to work in any factory or mine or engaged in any other hazardous employment.
- Article 39(e) and (f) provides that the State shall, in particular, direct its policy towards securing to “ensure that the health and strength of workers, men and women and the tender age of children are not abused” and “that the citizens are not forced by economic necessity to enter avocations unsuited to their age or strength” and that “the children are given opportunities and facilities to develop in a healthy manner and in conditions of freedom and dignity” and that the childhood and youth are protected against exploitation and against moral and material abandonment.
- Article 45- The State shall endeavour to provide early childhood care and education for all children until they complete the age of six years.
- Article 47- The State shall regard the raising of the level of nutrition and the standard of living of its people and the improvement of public health as among its primary duties.
Article 243G read with Schedule 11 – provide for institutionalization of child care by seeking to entrust programmes of Women and Child Development to Panchayat (Item 25 of Schedule 11), apart from education (item 17), family welfare (item 25), health and sanitation (item 23) and other items with a bearing on the welfare of children.
350A. Facilities for instruction in mother-tongue at primary stage– It shall be the endeavour of every State and of every local authority within the State to provide adequate facilities for instruction in the mother-tongue at the primary stage of education to children belonging to linguistic minority groups; and the President may issue such directions to any State as he considers necessary or proper for securing the provision of such facilities.
National Organisations working towards the protection of child rights:
- Bachpan Bachao Aandholan
- Child rights and You
- Save the children India
- Haq centre for child rights
- National commission for protection of child rights
International Organisations working towards protection of child right
- Child advocacy 360
- Child rights International network
- UN agency for children
Children of today are citizens of tomorrow; the constitution has rightly recognised the importance of children in nation building and has secured their rights.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|