To what extent the proposed Railway Regulatory Authority of India is different from earlier proposal of the Rail Tariff Committee. Critically examine its potential implications for Indian Railways.
Published: February 6, 2016
Railway Regulatory Authority of India (RRAI) seems to be a super-authority on account of its functions such as:
- Acting as quasi judicial body in regulation of railways
- Consists of powers for economic, tariff, safety and fair acess regulation
- Power of licensing and enhancing competition and setting technical standards
- Rail tariff authority:
- Is an advisory body with no quasi judicial power
- Advise over matters related to fare revision and freight revision.
- Recommendations to railway ministry are non binding in nature
- Is to engage with all the stakeholders before any recommendation
- Has responsibility of increasing the quantum of freight sent and also to reduce cross subsidization
Model Questions Category: 077 - Infrastructure Ports Roads Airports Railways