The true potential of e-governance cannot be realized by solely focusing on the technological aspect, rather it involves ushering reforms in governance itself. Discussing the statement, suggest what should be done to address the situation.
E-governance involves delivery of government services to citizens through an electronic medium, ensuring transparency, speed, convenience and reducing instances of corruption and negative discretion.
Need to usher reforms in governance:
- Lack of proper training of government officials.
- Reluctance to shift to e-governance platforms.
- Absence of standardized protocols which hamper automatic service delivery.
- Lack of digitization of records, rendering e-governance futile.
- Absence of adequate infrastructure to facilitate e-governance.
- Lack of citizen-focused delivery attitude among public servants.
The above issues are causing hurdles in implementation of e-governance in service delivery
- Strengthening of citizens charter and developing awareness there of.
- Developing adequate standardized protocols for service delivery.
- Digitization of records and other data.
- Training of staff to use IT.
- Development of proper infrastructure for introduction of IT based tools.
- Change in attitude among government officials.
- Development of trust among the public to use e-governance services.
- Utilizing the role of youth and NGOs in spreading awareness.
The full benefits of e-governance can only be realized once proper reforms are ushered in administrative practices through active public effort and citizen engagement.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|