The public intent data can transform public sector by harnessing the power of data for development. In this context, highlight its importance and the challenges associated with its wide scale use.
The Public intent data refers to the data collected with the intent of serving the public good by gauging public opinion on wide ranging issues to make informed decision. It has the ability to bring value to development by holding governments accountable and empowering individuals, improving service delivery, and prioritizing scarce resources.
Transformative role in public sector:
- Promotes public participation.
- Informed & consensus led decision making.
- Decreases the role of money by lobbyists in influencing decision making.
- Makes government more transparent and accountable to people.
- Relatively conflict free implementation of developmental projects.
- Too much democracy can be a sign of failure of government.
- Can be a source of conflict in society if opinion is divided.
- Logistically difficult to manage at scale.
- Can be misused against dissenting voices.
- Can be manipulated if hacked or rigged.
Thus, while public intent data holds great promise of improving governance. It needs to be harmonized with associated data and logistical challenges to be an effective tool of governance.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|