The North-East region of India has been infested with insurgency for a very long time. Analyze the major reasons for survival of armed insurgency in this region.
The North-East region of India comprises eight states viz. Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, and Tripura.
Primary reason: The region of India has been infested with insurgency for a very long time due to the presence of different cultural, social backgrounds, territorial disputes, historical arguments, geographical factors, etc. The major reasons behind the survival of armed insurgency in this region are
- During the time of the British rule in India, the government overlooked this area for development. Though the Azad hind fauj under the leadership of S.C. Bose had some movement in this area but it missed the real administration.
- Northeast India is adorned with very dense Tropical semi-evergreen and moist deciduous types of forest, which provides easy protection to the insurgents to conduct their activities.
- Tensions between the tribal people of Northeast India like Bodo, Kuki, Adi, Garo, Khasi, Angami is a very significant cause.
- The borders of many foreign countries provide easy access to arms, drug trading.
- There is always a conflict between north Indian states and the centers which directly or indirectly stalls fund allocation and developmental process.
- The area is totally isolated from the political thoughts of India which enables the insurgents to increase their activity and influence.
Measures: The people of the north Indian state of India are under the control of the insurgents. They need to be brought back into the mainstream of society. The hilly areas are problematic for conducting routine surveillance. Using modern technology could be a solution to it. It will help to cease illegal trading and eventually restrict foreign influence.
Following these measures and with unity and integrity, the infestations of insurgency could easily be controlled in the near future.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|