A basic principle of management is that the responsibility/ accountability should not be divested from authority; however, generally it is found that there is a mismatch between authority and accountability in public service in India. Discuss suggesting how the congruence between authority and responsibility can be ensured in public services.
Published: November 21, 2017
Accountability along with authority is necessary for good governance. The congruence between accountability and authority in public service can be ensured by some of the following measures:
- Stringent rules should be put in place so that all civil and public servants irrespective of their positions and designations are held accountable for their actions.
- Taking necessary actions to improve E-governance in the country because e-governance makes ever process transparent which in turn makes more accountable
- Creating awareness in citizens to known about their rights through methods like Citizen Charters.
- Implementing acts like Right to service act and Right to information act.
- Conducting regular internal and social audits in public services.
- Establishing suitable grievance redressal mechanism.
- Monitoring performance of public service employees by implementing recent initiatives like SPARROW (SMART PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL REPORT RECORDING ONLINE WINDOW) in a more effective way.
- Adequate powers and authority should be given to civil servants to perform their responsibility.
- Avoiding nexus between political leaders and public servants and clearly demarcating their roles and responsibilities.
Further, a well-defined hierarchy should be implemented which promotes greater accountability and responsibility along with authority.
Model Questions Category: 052 - Role of Civil Services in Democracy