Investment in social infrastructure is imperative for an inclusive and sustainable growth in India. Discuss.
Social infrastructure (e.g. health, education, etc) is the key to India’s development as a welfare state in line with constitutional commitments under the directive principles.
Role of social infrastructure in inclusive and sustainable growth:
- Focus on education and health –
- Increase labour productivity
- Increase human capital
- Lead to inclusive growth
- Focus on human resource –
- Skill development
- Leads to improvements in diversified sectors.
- Pushes India’s growth with reducing poverty and inequality.
- Focus on social infrastructure –
- Leads to concerns of every segment incorporated.
- Helps in inclusive policy setting.
- Supplement sustainable growth.
- Increases India’s resilience.
- Enhancing social infrastructure –
- Increases the coverage of population.
- Helps in sustaining growth.
Social infrastructure has become even more important after covid-19 has shown of the fragile state of health and education sectors and the plight of migrant workers. There is a need to incorporate more funds for social infrastructure in National infrastructure pipeline through private investments and government policy promotion.