How the urban waste contributes to global warming? Discuss how the efficient management of urban solid waste can reduce the GHG accumulation.
Global warming is the gradual increase in the overall temperature of the earth’s atmosphere generally attributed to the greenhouse effect caused by increased levels of carbon dioxide, CFCs, and other green house gases. The world has committed to keep the global temperature to 2deg above pre industrial levels and endeavor to limit even below 1.5deg.
Urban wastes contribute to global warming in the following ways
- Burning of Solid wastes is releasing carbon dioxide and other green house cases.
- Inefficient disposal of solid waste is causing anaerobic decomposition which is releasing methane. This is a green house gas.
- Centralized dumping grounds require transportation thus leading to increased fossil fuel consumption and release of green house gases.
An efficient management of urban solid waste can reduce the green house gases accumulation by
- Recycling of the solid waste.
- Segregation at household level and utilizing of organic wastes for generating power, manures, biogas etc.
- This will reduce the burden of green house gases due to reduced production of fertilizers, electricity.
As India is committed to fulfill its INDC goals under Paris climate agreement, an efficient management of urban solid waste can complement its efforts in this direction.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|