Explain in brief the significance of UNSC along with reforms needed at present times. Why India should be given permanent membership to the council?
Published: May 30, 2019
The United Nations Security Council is one of the organs of the United Nations .It is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security. The Security Council consists of fifteen members. Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, and the United States are its five permanent members. The Security Council also has 10 non-permanent members. These are elected on a regional basis to serve two-year terms.
Significance of UNSC:
- Establishment of peacekeeping operations
- Establishment of international sanctions
- Authorization of military action through Security Council resolutions
- It is the only UN body with the authority to issue binding resolutions to member states
Reforms needed in UNSC involve the followings:
- Categories of membership
- Question of the veto held by the five permanent members
- Regional representation
- The size of an enlarged Council and its working methods
- There is also a proposal to admit more permanent members
India should be given a permanent seat due to following reasons:
- India was among the founding members of United Nations.
- It is one of the largest constant contributors of troops to United Nations Peacekeeping missions
- India has over 8,500 peacekeepers in the field
- It has been a member of UNSC for 7 terms and a member of G-77 and G-4
India has been demanding expansion of UNSC and its inclusion as permanent member in it, so permanent membership is a logical extension.
Model Questions Category: 057 - Important International Institutions Agencies and Fora