Draw a map indicating location of tropical rainforests in the world. Discuss their importance to mankind.
Rainforests cover only 6% of the total Earth’s land surface. The major portion of rainforests is located in the Amazon River Basin in South America. These are also found in western Africa and parts of Southeast Asia and Madagascar Island. In India, rainforests are found in Western Ghats and Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Importance of rainforests to mankind
- Preserving tropical rainforests is crucial to meet the international climate change goals like Paris Agreement.
- Tropical rainforests have extremely high biodiversity. It must be preserved to maintain stable ecosystem
- The resources from rainforests are essential for poverty alleviation and to meet long term food security
- Rainforests also help in regulating the global rainfall patterns
- These are often called “lungs of the earth” because they help in carbon sequestration and breathe out oxygen.
- These are important source for the livelihood and cultural survival of indigenous peoples and other local communities
- Several rainforest plants are used in modern medicines