Discuss the importance and role of Maharaja Ranjit Singh in India history.
Ranjit singh was the founder of the Sikh Empire. He brought unity and welded together all the states in the Punjab.He belonged to Sukarchakya Mist.
Role of Maharaja Ranjit Singh:
- Army Reforms: Ranjit Singhs army was known as the Khalsa army. He modernized the army and improved its training. He recruited people from different backgrounds and ethnicities in his army. He strengthened both infantry and artillery. He brought new equipment of warfare.
- Focus on Peace and security: There was increased prosperity in his regions. He enhanced better security and curbed violence and improved facilities for trade.
- Unity among Sikhs: The Sikhs emerged as a strong and cohesive political unit under Ranjit Singh. He was also known for his renovation of the Golden Temple in Amritsar. He was also a keen admirer of Guru Gobind Singh.
- Protection from foreign invaders: He not only united Punjab but also rolled back the tide of foreign invasions.
- Respect for all religions: He allowed men from different religions and races to serve in his army and his government in various positions of authority. He joined the Hindus in their temples, prohibited cow slaughter out of respect for Hindu sentiments. He ordered his soldiers to neither loot nor molest civilians.
He is remembered for founding the prosperous Sikh Empire. He built a well-trained, self-sufficient Khalsa army to protect the empire.He gained the possession of theKoh-i-Noor diamond fromShuja Shah Durraniof Afghanistan.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|