Discuss the geo-political, economic and social repercussions of World War-II on European countries.
- Germany was divided into four zones under the control of the United States, Britain, France, and Former Soviet Union.
- Europe was polarised. While Soviet Union with communist regime acquired many eastern European countries, Western Europe was dominated by capitalist and democratic spheres controlled by Britain, US and France.
- Cold war developed between United States and USSR
- Huge damage was caused to infrastructure by bombings during the war.
- Europe faced food crisis and suffered from high inflation rate
- European countries accumulated massive debt to United States and other countries
- The war caused severe Refugee crisisin the continent
- Holocaust heavily affected the Jews population in the world
- The war left a huge population of widows and orphans in its wake