Discuss in detail the powers available to the Lok Sabha speaker and functions allotted to him to be performed.
Published: June 18, 2019
The Speaker is the main presiding officer of Lok Sabha. He isï¿½elected from all members by simple majority. The candidate of the ruling party is made the speaker. However, there are cases also when he is not from the ruling party.
- He is the head of the house and controls its working
- The members of the parliament address only to the Speaker while any discussion in the house
- During joint sitting of both houses of Parliament, the Speaker of the Lok Sabha presides over this meeting
- He has a special voting power in his hand. He can case when there is tie on votes between the ruling party and opposition
- He decides the agenda of various discussions
- He has the power toï¿½adjourn or suspend the house/meetings if the quorum is not met
- His decision on finance bill is final .Whether a bill is money bill or not ,it is decided by him only
He is removed from the post of Speaker by passing a resolution by majority of the members of Lok Sabha. During resolution for removal of Speaker, the Speaker does not cast his vote even if there is tie.
Model Questions Category: 033 - Functions and Responsibilities of the Union and the States