Assess the effectiveness of the SVAMITVA scheme in strengthening the Panchayati Raj framework in India.
SVAMITVA stands for Survey of Villages and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas. In this scheme, there will be use of latest technology such as drones to measure the inhabited land in villages and rural areas. The mapping and survey will be conducted in collaboration with the Survey of India, State Revenue Department and State Panchayati Raj Department under the Ministry of Panchayati Raj and property cards will be prepared and given to the respective owners.
Effectiveness of the scheme in strengthening the Panchayati Raj –
- It will help in providing clarity over property rights in rural areas enabling proper revenue collection along with streamlining planning in villages
- It will help to settle land disputes in rural areas through the title deeds allotted through this scheme.
- It will enable the government to effectively plan for the infrastructural programs in villages
- This scheme will open up avenues for applying loans on financial assets of the owners providing the much needed economic assistance to villagers
- It will provide a systematic land of records and will be beneficial in curbing attempts of illegal property grabbing
- The scheme will enable creation of better-quality Gram Panchayat Development Plans,using the maps created under this programme.
This scheme is likely to become a tool for empowerment and entitlement, reducing land disputes and social infighting over land and property rights and at the same time a complete land of records to further implement the fundamental objectives of Panchayati Raj system in India.