World’s Highest Tunnel at Shinku La Pass
The world’s highest tunnel will be constructed by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) at Shinku La Pass at 16,580 feet. This tunnel will be connecting Himachal Pradesh to Ladakh.
- The construction of this tunnel by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) will begin by July 2022.
- This tunnel will be connecting Ladakh’s Zanskar Valley to Himachal Pradesh.
- Project Yojak has been set up by the central government to execute this ambitious project.
- By the year 2025, the construction of this tunnel will be completed.
- The tunnel’s south portal will be at Shinku La.
- The tunnel’s north portal will be at Lakhang.
Importance of this tunnel
This tunnel will help in boosting the economy of the Zanskar Valley as the travel time between Himachal Pradesh and Ladakh will be reduced after this tunnel is opened.
About Border Roads Organisation
The organization falls under the control of the Ministry of Defence since the year 2015. This organization is responsible for maintaining the border area road networks of the country. This organization plays an important role in the development of infrastructure in the border areas of the nation. Initially, this organization functioned under the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. The headquarters of BRO is in New Delhi and the current Director General is Lt. Gen. Rajeev Chaudhary.
Category: India Nation & States Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|