US revokes order on US-Mexico Border Wall Project
The President of United States, Joe Biden, has revoked the emergency order that was issued by former President Donald Trump to construct the US-Mexico border wall. The order was revoked on February 11, 2021.
- The President Biden revoked the order given by former President Donald Trump by announcing that it shall be the policy of the new administration that American taxpayers’ money will not be diverted to construct a border wall now at the United States’ border with Mexico.
- The president will also direct a careful review of all the resources that have been appropriated or redirected for this purpose.
What was the issue?
- The idea to construct a US-Mexico border was put forward by the former President of United States Donald Trump in 2016 during the presidential campaign trail.
- After this, he had been repeatedly asking Mexico to pay for the construction of the border wall.
- In the year 2019, the Trump administration had signed the executive order that declared the national emergency so as to build US-Mexico border wall. This order was passed on February 15, 2019. The emergency was announced after repeated clash with the lawmakers with respect to the funding for the project.
- Later in 2020, the Customs and Border Protection reported that it had found USD 11 billion as fund in order to construct the wall.
- Following that, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) challenged the USD 2.5 billion in Department of Defense spending that was diverted to the complete construction of the US-Mexico wall.
- After that, the proclamation of emergency landed the Trump’s administration in court.
Mexico–United States barrier or border wall
It is a series of vertical barriers at the Mexico–United States border. The border seeks to reduce the illegal immigration from the Mexico to the United States from Mexico. The barrier is not a continuous structure. It is a series of obstructions comprising of the fences or walls. Along the border, security is provided by virtual fence of cameras, sensors, and other surveillance equipment.
Category: International / World Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|