Taragiri: Third stealth frigate under Project 17A
Project 17A’s third stealth frigate ‘Taragiri’ was recently launched by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) in Mumbai.
- Taragiri is the third stealth warship to be built under Project 17A.
- The 149 m long and 17.8 m wide ship is powered by a combination of two gas turbines and two main diesel engines. They are designed to achieve speeds in excess of 28 knots at a displacement of 6,670 tonnes.
- The ship is expected to be delivered by August 2025.
- The ship is being launched with an estimated launch weight of 3,510 tonnes.
- The ship is designed by the Bureau of Naval Design, the in-house design organization of the Indian Navy.
- The ship was named by Charu Singh, President, Naval Wives Welfare Association (Western Zone) and Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Naval Command, wife of the Chief Guest.
- The steel used in the hull construction of the P17A frigate is indigenously developed DMR 249A, a low carbon micro-alloy grade steel manufactured by the Steel Authority of India Limited.
Under project P17A, first two ships were launched 2019 and 2020. First ship was launched at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited. On the other hand, second ship was launched at Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited. On May 17, 2022, the third ship named Udaygiri was launched at MDL and is expected to start sea trials during the second half of 2024. All the ships under project P17A have been designed in-house by Directorate of Naval Design (DND) of Indian Navy.
Category: Defence Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|