Sri Lanka Inter-city Train Service with Indian Aid
Sri Lanka had created an inter-city railway service with the help of India. India provided diesel units to the project. Railway services were launched between Jaffna and Colombo. With this India wanted to send a strong message that it has a big role in improving infrastructure in the Indian Ocean Region.
About the Inter – City Project
- The service was launched between Mount Lavinia (Colombo) and Kankesanthurai (Jaffna).
- India provided AC DMUs, that full Air – Conditioned Diesel Multiple Units for the project.
- The train service facilitates people – to – people exchange and also lays emphasis on beneficial cooperation between India and Sri Lanka.
- RITES supplied passenger coaches under an Indian Line of Credit. It had already supplied 120 of 160 coaches. RITES is Rail India Technical and Economic Service Limited. It was established in 1974. RITES is owned by Ministry of Railways. It was initially created to provide consultancy services to operators in India and abroad. Later it was extended to planning other infrastructure projects such as ports, airports, urban planning and highways.
- IRCON is upgrading the railway tracks between Maho Anuradhapura and Omanthai.IRCON is Indian Railways Construction Limited. It is owned by Indian Railways. It is a construction and engineering corporation. It was established under the Indian Companies Act, 1956.
India – Sri Lanka recent developments
- Currently, India is developing 3.5 billion USD worth projects in Sri Lanka. Of these 570 million USD are grants.
- Also, India is creating new railway infrastructure in the country. It is also helping Sri Lanka in modernizing its railways.
- The Indian Housing project is to build 50,000 houses in Sri Lanka. The houses are to be built in war affected areas.
- India has made an overall commitment of Rs 1,372 crores. It is the largest projects undertaken by Government of India abroad.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|