Social Awareness and Action to Neutralise Pneumonia Successfully (SAANS) Campaign
Health and Medical Education Minister of Karnataka, K. Sudhakar launched the ‘Social Awareness and Action to Neutralise Pneumonia Successfully’ (SAANS) on 20th April 2022. SAANS is a campaign that has been launched to ensure early detection and greater awareness of pneumonia in children under the age of five.
- Pneumonia is a lung infection that is caused due to viral, bacterial, or fungal infection.
- As per SRS 2018, Karnataka’s under-five mortality is at 28 per 1000 live births.
- By 2025, the state’s goal is to reduce the under-five mortality to 23 per 1,000 live.
- Also, to achieve the National Health Policy goals, pneumonia mortality has to be reduced to less than 3 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In India, childhood pneumonia still remains a health threat to the children who are aged below five years contributing to 15 percent of the nation’s under-five deaths.
Initiatives that are being taken up by Karnataka
Community awareness generation through extensive mass media and digital campaigns regarding pneumonia has been taken up by the State. To generate awareness, ASHA workers have also been roped in. Also, across the state, facility-level management for severe pneumonia cases is being strengthened. Along with this, skill stations are being set up and the healthcare providers are also being provided skill-based training. All healthcare providers in the state are taking up active screening of the children who are under-five for management and early identification of pneumonia.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|