September 9 : Himalaya Day
Himalaya Day is celebrated every year on 9 September with an aim to preserve the Himalayan ecosystem and region.
- In 2015, September 9 was officially declared as Himalaya Day by the then Chief Minister of Uttarakhand.
- The Himalayas play an important role in saving and maintaining nature and protecting the country from adverse weather conditions.
- Apart from being rich in biodiversity of flowers and fauna, the Himalayan range is also responsible for bringing rain to the country.
- Himalaya Day is also an excellent day to raise awareness among the general public and bring about community participation in conservation activities.
- This time special events will be held in nine Himalayan states as well as in Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Delhi.
- Himalaya Day 2022 was observed under the theme ‘Himalayas will be safe only when the interests of its residents are protected’.
Why is this day celebrated?
This day is celebrated to mark the importance of the Himalayas. The Himalayan hill cities face many challenges due to poor building planning and design, poor infrastructure like roads, water supply, sewage etc. and unprecedented felling of trees. This results in serious ecological issues.
The day is observed highlighting that there is an urgent need to develop eco-sensitive hill town plans and designs. The Himalayas are a source of strength and a valuable heritage for the entire world. So it needs to be protected. Apart from promoting scientific knowledge, the day helps to raise awareness and community participation.
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|