A new ROPAX service was inaugurated between Mumbai and Mandwa in Maharashtra by the Union Minister for Shipping, while highlighting the importance of waterways as a means of transport.
About the Vessel
The ROPAX Vessel M2M-1 was constructed in 2019 in Greece. It has high manoeuvrability and can reach speeds of up to 14 knots. It can complete a one way trip in 45 minutes to an hour. It has the capacity to carry 200 cars and 1,000 passengers at a time. It has a ramp on both sides.
The newly launched ROPAX service between Bhaucha Dhakka, Mumbai and Mandwa, Alibag has the following advantages:
- It will reduce the journey time between the two areas. The distance between Mumbai and Mandwa is about 110km by road which would take 3-4 hours. By waterway, it is only 18km which could be covered in an hour.
- It will provide impetus for local economy.
- It will reduce fuel consumption.
- It will reduce vehicular emission.
- It can also operate during monsoon periods.
Eastern Waterfront Development
It is the plan of Mumbai Port Trust to develop the area stretching between Wadala to Sassoon Dock on the eastern coast. The ROPAX was inaugurated under the ‘water transport service project’ component. The Mumbai Port Trust is an autonomous body under the Union Ministry of Shipping.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|