Roll-out of 5G services in India
Leading telecom service providers are set to roll out the Fifth Generation or 5G telecom services across selected cities in India in 2022.
- 5G telecom services will be rolled out in cities like Gurugram, Bangalore, Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, Chandigarh, Ahmadabad, Jamnagar, Hyderabad, Chennai, Pune, Lucknow, and Gandhinagar.
- Bharti Airtel, Vodafone Idea and Reliance Jio have established 5G trials sites across the mentioned cities.
What is 5G?
- The fifth generation (5G service) is the latest upgrade to long-term evolution (LTE) mobile broadband networks.
- It is designed to connect many types of devices than smartphones. It offers far higher speed and capacity.
- 5G works in 3 bands namely low, mid, and high-frequency spectrum.
- In low band spectrum, speed is limited to 100 Mbps (Megabits per second).
- Mid-band spectrum offers higher speeds as compared to low band. However, it has limitations of coverage area and penetration of signals.
- In High-band spectrum, speed goes to 20 Gbps (gigabits per second).
Indigenous 5G Test bed project
- This project has been launched with the active participation of government.
- Department of Telecom has collaborated with the leading research institutions to develop and test 5G technology.
- Research institutes that are taking part in the project incluce:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay
- IIT Delhi
- IIT Hyderabad
- IIT Madras
- IIT Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Science (IISC) Bangalore
- Society for Applied Microwave Electronics Engineering & Research (SAMEER)
- Centre of Excellence in Wireless Technology (CEWiT)
- This project was started in 2018 and will be completed by December 31, 2021.
- It has been funded by the Department of Telecom. So far, Rs 224 crore have been spent on this project.
- The test bed will help in development, testing and proliferation of 5G technology system components and cross-sectoral use cases.
- It will also set up the foundation for developing “6G Technology landscape” in India.
What is Test bed?
Test bed refers to creating a specific environment to test the products or services. It comprises of hardware, software, operating system, as well as network configuration.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|