QUAD inks HADR Partnership Guidelines
The QUAD countries have signed the Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) partnership guidelines recently.
- The recently signed the HADR partnership guidelines ensures expansion of scope of the QUAD alliance.
- The signing took place during the QUAD foreign ministers’ meeting held at the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly in New York.
- The HADR partnership was announced during the Quad Leaders’ Tokyo Summit on May 24, 2022 as part of the grouping’s shared vision of free and open Indo-Pacific.
- These guidelines trace their origins to the 2004 ad hoc Tsunami Core Group, which sought to strengthen international response during the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami.
- These guidelines aim to respond to disasters occurring in the Indo-Pacific region.
- The partnership will act as a dedicated framework for QUAD countries and help them boost coordination during disaster response operations.
- It will improve the QUAD countries’ capacity and capability, interoperability and operational synergy during the disaster response.
- This partnership allows the QUAD alliance to provide joint or coordinated individual assistance in crisis preparation, crisis response or post-crisis review phases of the disaster response.
- These joint initiatives will be undertaken with respect to the sovereignty, territorial integrity and national unity of the disaster-hit countries.
- The QUAD alliance is also looking to coordinate in areas such as STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fellowship, an economic framework with other partners and a maritime domain awareness initiative.
- The next foreign ministers’ meetings will be held in 2023.
The Quadrilateral Security Dialogue or QUAD is a strategic security dialogue involving India, the United States, Australia and Japan. It was initiated in 2007 by Japanese President Shinzo Abe. It ceased to exist in 2008 after Australia’s withdrawal and later revived again during the 2017 ASEAN Summit in Manila.
Category: International / World Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|