Python 5 Air to Air Missile
The Defence Research and Development Organisation recently test fired a series of missile trials. It included the Derby missiles and the Python missiles. The missiles were test fired in Goa and achieved 100% hits.
With this the DRDO announced that the Python 5 Air to Air Missile has been successfully added to the Light Combat Aircraft Tejas.
- It is the fifth generation Python missile.
- It is an air to air missile built by the Israeli weapon manufacturer Rafael Advanced Defence Systems.
- The Israeli Government began manufacturing missiles in the name of “Shafir”. Later as it started exporting missiles it selected a western name “Python” or “Derby”.
- The Python-5 is currently the most capable Air to air missile in the inventory of Israel.
- It is beyond visual range missile. The Beyond Visual Range missiles are those missiles that are capable of engaging at ranges beyond 37 km.
- It features an advanced seeker that includes Electro-Optical and Image Infrared Homing.
- The Python 5 is capable to scan for the target area for the hostile aircraft and then locks on for terminal chase.
- It was first used in 2006 Lebanon war. It destroyed two Iran made UAVs.
- Speed of the missile is Mach 4.
- It weighs 11 kilograms
- Just like Python, it was also made by Rafael of Israel. In fact, Python 5 is an advanced version of Derby.
- It is also a Beyond Visual Range Missile.
It is active radar homing missile. An Active Radar Homing Missile is a missile that contains a radar transceiver to find and track the target autonomously.
Category: Defence Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|