Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award
The Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award (PBSA) is the highest honor conferred on overseas Indians during the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention, which will be held from January 8 to 10 in Indore this year. The award is presented by the President of India as part of the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention to Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs), or organizations established and run by NRIs or PIOs in recognition of their outstanding achievements both in India and abroad. A jury-cum-awards committee, with the Vice President as the chairman and the External Affairs Minister as the vice-chair, considered the nominations and unanimously selected the awardees.
- Guyana’s President Mohamed Irfaan Ali: Ali, who was sworn in as the ninth President of Guyana in August 2020, belongs to an Indo-Guyanese Muslim family. He will also be the chief guest at the convention.
- US-based businessman Darshan Singh Dhaliwal: Dhaliwal, a US-based Non-Resident Indian, was sent back from Delhi’s IGI Airport on the night of October 23-24, 2021, over his alleged involvement in organizing a langar (community meal) for protesting farmers at Delhi borders against the three farm laws, which have since been withdrawn. Dhaliwal is the younger brother of Surjit Singh Rakhra, who was a minister in the previous Akali Dal government in Punjab.
- DSB Group CEO Piyush Gupta: Gupta is the CEO of DSB Group, a leading business group in India.
- Poland-based businessman Amit Kailash Chandra Lath: Lath assisted Indian authorities during the evacuation of students during Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
- FedEx Corporation CEO Rajesh Subramaniam: Subramaniam is the CEO of FedEx Corporation, a global courier delivery services company.
- Indian-Australian economist Chennupati Jagadish: Jagadish is a renowned economist with a focus on technology and innovation.
- Kannam Ambalam, associate professor in Ethiopia-based Wolega University: Ambalam is credited with building water springs and small bridges in Ethiopia.
- Reena Vinod Pushkarna, an Israel-based chef: Pushkarna was part of the team that prepared dishes for Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to Israel in 2017.
Importance of the PBSA
The PBSA recognizes the contributions and achievements of NRIs and PIOs to their respective fields, as well as their efforts in maintaining a strong connection with their homeland. It is an important event for the Indian diaspora, as it provides a platform for NRIs and PIOs to connect with their roots and contribute to the development of India.
The PBSA also serves as a way for the government of India to engage with the Indian diaspora and strengthen its ties with NRIs and PIOs. The chief guest at this year’s convention, President Mohamed Irfaan Ali, is a testament to the importance of the PBSA and the role of the Indian diaspora in the development of their home country.
Month: Current Affairs - January, 2023
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News
Topics: Indian diaspora • Mohamed Irfaan Ali • Non-Resident Indians • NRIs • Overseas Indians • Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
Current Affairs MCQs PDF - February, 2023
Current Affairs Articles Compilation [PDF] - February, 2023
Current Affairs [PDF] - February 16-28, 2023
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|