Olympic Boulevard (Olympic Vithi)
Public Works Department (PWD) has decided to dedicate around one-kilometre-long stretch in North Delhi, to honour the Olympic champions.
- To celebrate India’s success at Olympics and Para Olympics 2021 PWD will dedicate the stretch to Olympic champions like Neeraj Chopra, Ravi Dahiya, PV Sindhu, and others.
- The one-km-long stretch will be named as Olympics Vithi or Olympics Boulevard.
The Sports-themed stretch is first of its kind. It will be redeveloped and redesigned as part of ambitious streetscaping project by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal. Estimated length of the stretch is 900 metres. It will be redeveloped on Road Number 51, stretching from Mukundpur Chowk to MCD colony near Model Town.
The Olympics Vithi or Olympics Boulevard
- The Olympics Vithi will have a sports look, comprising of sculptures and statues of:
- Javelin thrower and Olympic gold medalist Neeraj Chopra
- Badminton player PV Sindhu
- Boxer Lovlina Borghain
- Wrestler Ravi Dahiya
- Weightlifter Mirabai Chanu
- Wrestler Bajrang Punia etc.
- Size of these statue and sculptures will be 15 to 20 feet high with sheet metal thickness of 2-3mm and integrated lighting system to give them an aesthetic look.
- The stretch will also have a synthetic fibre cycle track, squat pushing, bicycle, open gyms with cross trainers and other equipment.
- It also comprises of a children play area, with multi-play equipment for children like hexa-climber, swing, creepy crawly climber, see-saw and others.
Why will Olympics Boulevard be created?
The Olympics Boulevard will be created to celebrate and honour the champions. It also seeks to inspire the youth of India to take up sports as a habit or as a vocation to stay fit.
Under the streetscaping project, all the bottlenecks viz., poor road engineering and geometry, footpaths, kerbs, will be redeveloped, to provide a safe and secure pathway for pedestrians.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|